Friday, July 23, 2010

The {green} Traveller: Hotel Basico, Mexico


Honestly, I'm not sure why, but to me its very refreshing to find a boutique hotel that's so FRESH in Mexico, which unfortunately seems to have been so dominated by big chain hotels.  (If I'm wrong and you've been some place fabulous, leave me a link and I'll check it out!)  At any rate, I've been sitting on Hotel Basico for a few weeks, and I'm dying to share it with you!  Hotel Basico challenges what a typical designer boutique hotel should be with a raw but impecably cool style, and a penchant for local and reused materials.  The building and floors are concrete (locally produced), the walls are mainly plywood, and the plumbing and electrical is intentionally exposed (I so love industrial design!), and in fact, becomes one of the main design foundations of the hotel. 



the inside/outside look is to die for!

The hotel has a definite playful attitude that invites spontaneity, for example, beds in each room are floating, and beneath each guests will find a white polaroid for catching the moment, flippers, goggles, toys and soccerballs, to name a few.


Another nod at a playful attitude are the recycled tires found around the hotel.  Besides becoming a great, almost nautical focal point, the tires have been repurposed into side tables too.

The rooftop features a terrace with two pools boasting an incredible view.  What's more, they are made of repurposed petroleum tanks.  Supposedly the daybeds are made of recycled truck beds too.


Hotel Basico is located at Playa del Carmen in Mexico; average price for a room is $200US/night.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic online mag! Thank you for sharing :)

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog for an original giclee fine art print ... and would love for you to enter (if you like it, that is!)

    xo,
    WHP

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails